Friday, May 02, 2008

15.5 Days of Music and Counting

OK.  So I had this idea while I was getting ready this morning.  What with "summer" coming and everything--sort of unemployed and no summer classes--i wanted to give myself a project of sorts.  Now this in addition to the other projects I've already decided I'll be doing.  This one will be fun and perhaps even illuminating.  

You know how on the bottom of your iTunes library there is a number that tallies how many songs you have and how many days worth of uninterrupted music you can listen to should you so choose?  Well, every time I look at that number I think to myself "Really?  Hm.  Wonder what's on here?"  So, here's my plan.  When I get back from NYC, I am going to listen to one full album a day.  Maybe more than once.  Or maybe two albums a day.  Maybe I'll start before I go and just take a break while I'm gone, resume when I return.  I don't know.  I'll decide next week.  Anyway, I'm going to keep a little notebook next to me and just let myself go... jot down whatever comes to mind as I listen.  My very ambitious plan would be to post some daily album thoughts/reviews on the blog, but I can't promise that.  Maybe a weekly summary.  It will just depend on what I'm doing that day and how I'm feeling.  I'm sure my tiny readership is on pins and needles now, waiting to read how this will all turn out.  Ha.  We'll see... 

I'm stealing this idea from Sarah Vowell.  She kept a radio listening diary and published her pithy musings.  I entertain no such ambitions.  I just want to listen to all this music that I have, supposedly because I like it.  Who knows if I even do.  I already know that the collection on my iTunes does not reflect all the music I like or wish I owned.  My physical CDs don't, either.
There is much missing from my collection and perhaps I'll be inspired to fill in the blanks.  For that I'll have to save up some dough, because the budget is going to be tight.  Tight I tell 'ya.  (My rent just increased, beginning in July, by a LARGE dollar amount.  Welcome to "market value".  Ugh.)

I can promise no great prose or insight regarding this journey.  I make no claims on being a probing, thought provoking, uncanny observationist.  Read if you please.  Ignore if it suits you.  

Stay tuned....

No comments: