Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Master of What?


I think my diploma came in the mail on Saturday.  Haven't opened it. I don't want.  Somehow the prospect is... well, it's a little depressing since I'm doing nothing remotely related to what I just spent the past 2 1/2 years, not to mention what feels like a gazillion dollars, studying.  I'm not too upset, I think, about how my career--really lack of a career--has shaped up thus far.  I'm working at two places I really like; one is a great social outlet and fun and the other has the potential to turn into some very marketable skills.  I certainly won't be the first body to go into something unrelated to all of the schoolin' I've been doin'.  Still... this 8 1/2 x 11 cardboard envelope, sent first class mail and hand stamped "DO NOT CRUSH"... I'd rather not open it just now.


o dear.

Besides, I totally recognize that my unwillingness to move from the city of Seattle has hampered my ability to get work in my field.  It's a failing that I have.  Not wanting to move.  For work.  For a career.  I know this and I accept it.  Not that I'm absolutely against uprooting myself, but if I don't have to I don't want to.  I like it here.  I like being able to live in an affordable (so far) city that still offers a great amount of culture and people and food and a temperate climate.  Even if it gets a bit unbearable every few years... this past spring was a doozy.  And how.

Ok.  I opened it.  Pretty vellum diploma.  Official transcripts, too.  3.898 GPA.  (Darn that B in Cataloging and Classification.)  Ugh.  Kinda wish I'd left it unopened for a few more days.  I wasn't ready to see that.

Yeah.  Definitely not ready.

No comments: