Saturday, August 06, 2005

I feel the need, the need for speed...


I got some new shoes a couple of days ago. hee hee hee. They make me think of Spiderman and are so light and comfortable. I am super fast in these shoes, I just know it. Vroom-Vroom shoes. I wore them out when we went to the lake to watch these guys practice their super fast flying moves, yesterday. See? Super fast shoes. Super fast jets. I think there's a connection somewhere...

Every year, they come to Seattle for Sea Fair, and every year I hear various thoughts on what that means. Well, what it means in a political sense. Especially since the start of the war in Iraq. When those jets fly into town you hear people bemoaning the showboat techniques of the military and grumble about what their presence really means. As well as hearing all about how great it is that they come, it's one of the best annual events that occurs in Seattle, etc., etc., etc. It's easy for me to forget that those navy blue planes with their yellow stripes are actually representative of the U.S Navy and Marine Corps. Is this wrong? Does it bother me just a little bit? Yeah, I have to admit that it does. But that noise. That speed. That force. I am in awe of a man made object that can go so fast and execute uniform, simultaneous, crazy topsy-turvy maneuvers. I get caught up in the excitement of it. It's fun to watch them. Heck, I love the sound more than anything. And the way that it vibrates off of everything around. You hear that broken sound barrier noise, and suddenly, regardless of whether those planes are in sight or not, all heads zip upward and search the skies for them. Doesn't matter if you disagree with what they stand for, ultimately--which, sad to say, is not the celebration of "Fun"--one cannot help but look.

Politics are on my mind, it seems. There's another blog out there, written by a woman who shares my same name. Can you believe it? Well, I'm sure there are others, too...but this woman's blog is all about politics. And she's savvy. Oh, yes. She knows what's goin' on in the world and has opinions. I can't remember what her blog is called, but I know that if you google "linnet", you'll see her come up, a lot. (Yes, I have googled myself. And who hasn't?) The point is that if you want to read about Linnet's views on the political state of our world, I'd suggest reading the other Linnet. THIS Linnet is just on a military kick, right now, because of the Blue Angels and the war and my little brother's upcoming birthday, which will be spent in Iraq. And the struggles of balancing what I know to be a travesty with the knowledge that my little brother is a part of it, because he signed up for it. Whether he likes it or not, he feels he has to toe the party line. (Or is that tow the party line? Both make sense, if you think about it...) Am I angry with my brother? No. He was ripe for recruitment, unsure of his life options. One of those young kids who signs up in a time of relative peace, hoping to get some GI Bill money and maybe get posted to Germany, so that he can boast of having been stationed "Overseas" for awhile. So, with those speedy jets flying around I am reminded of how worried I am and what supporting the pageantry of the schtick truly means. Is it possible to separate the two? Obviously, it's possible to convince oneself that they can be separated, but what does that really mean you're telling yourself? It would be the same as taking a stand against big tobacco and then buying stock in Phillip Morris because that company has other interests besides just cigarettes. For instance, Kraft Singles. And if you like Kraft Singles and don't like the culture of tobacco, then you probably have to tell yourself a similar story about why buying the fake cheese is alright and why enjoying the Blue Angels is also alright,too. I don't like fake cheese, but I do like those planes.

O, Life!