Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Not that I'd want to be in that family

The last few months have been spent trying to catch up with the rest of the HBO watching world. Neither of us have cable, so any of those shows that were such huge successes and have either ended, or are ending this season, went unwatched by both of us. I did my fare share of marathon viewings of the girl one, and lately we've been watching the death one, only to be completely distracted by the mob one. So far, the mobsters have it. It must be that inexplicable fascination with the underworld of gangsters ala Al Capone. As if we really know so much about that world, other than what is gleaned from the sensationalized stories and photos that you see from time to time. Remember when he took us on an exclusive tour of Capone's hideout? I can't remember if it was on network television, or A & E. I do remember being totally titilated at the thought of seeing some kind of gruesome discoveries as Geraldo is the first to reveal this murderous icon's very own cave dwelling. It was a cave, wasn't it? And what was in it? Nothin'. Zilch. Well, mildew, I suppose. And some mucky muck on the floor. But not from blood and guts, just dirt and water mixed with age. This did not deter our investigative reporter from trying to make it as exciting as if he'd found the remains of Capone enemies mixed with some damp green backs rather than the mud. It was, ultimately, a non-story.

What is it about the Mafia that fascinates us? (It is US, or Hollywood wouldn't continue to make movies and television shows about it.) How many bad Mafia influenced made for t.v. movies have I watched? More than once? We did have cable when I was in high school, so I got to see lots of repeats of bad shows; like that one with Melissa Gilbert and Joe Penny (who, coincidently, was on a couple of episodes during season 2.) Lucky, lucky me. Like most people I know, I love "The Godfather" I & II and despise III. Today, to my surprise, I discovered that there was a IV--made for t.v.; I am out of the loop. Predictably, "Goodfellas" is another fave. But these people, these anti-heroes, are murderers and cheats and liars and thieves and I, we, root for them. We want them to succeed and pump that other guy fullalead. Ick.

Of course, it's all about rationalization. This Mafia guy's story has unfolded for us. We get to see the softer side of Michael Corleone. You know, where he's wining and dining Kay, or hugging his children, or worrying over his father after an attempt is made on the Don's life. And let us not forget his picturesque walks in Italy as he courts that nubile beauty. He's just a family guy, really. If "The Godfather" had been made into a television series, I think we'd even get to have more sympathy (that's a relative term, mind you.) for Michael. Like with Tony. His main concern is that of his family. That family happens to extend to the other men in his organization, which illustrates to the viewer just how loyal he is to those that deserve it, and even to some that don't. Now, how can you dislike that? Who else offers you $50,000 when one of the "uncles" acts out and tries to run you over because he's trying to make a point, and leaves you a possible paraplegic for the rest of your life? That Tony, he is one stand up guy. He's got his worries, just like you and me. So his job is a little questionable, at least he takes care of his own, yeah? And is trying to become a more in touch, sensitive, truer individual. Right?

Violence isn't a tactic that appeals to me in the problem solving arena. However, in the fantasy world of television, movies and books, it is most often justified in a way that we can live with in order to continue to care what happens. If it is mob related, then so much the better. Gosh. That's kinda sick. Well, onward to season 3.