Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Tree Death

I passed the first Seattle apartment building that I lived in, on my way to the library, today. It is, in fact, right next to the library. Terribly convenient those many years ago when I lived at the Fireside Manor. Well, where several birch looking trees once stood, there are now several stumps and leaf and branch detritus instead. And a big green industrial dumpster. No trees. I can't see why it was necessary to cut them down, they weren't in the way, insinuating themselves onto the sidewalk and impeding pedestrians. Kept that side of the buidling shaded, which, from my memory would have been a good thing. Huge windows with a western exposure can make for a very warm summer afternoon, especially when we have our mini heat waves. It was just an odd sight and I hope there is a reasonable explanation. Though, the cynic in me suspects that some tenant got their panties in a wad about leaves and branches blocking their view of the houses across the street. The year I moved out of the good ole' Fireside, a new apartment complex was being built to block the once coveted views of downtown Seattle, including the Space Needle. Very little view is left, unless you live on the 5th floor, south east corner unit. Not within sight of the now sawed off stumps.

1 comment:

Stine said...

It's amazing what I see them doing to Capitol Hill since all this construction and building has been going on.

It was great to see you yesterday, and now I have a link to your blog on my blogroll. Yay.

Biscuits, and Buffy - RULE!