Thursday, October 19, 2006

May I Take Your Pledge?

Fun times. I volunteered for phone answering duty during the GREATEST RADIO STATION IN THE WORLD's--90.3 KEXP-- fall pledge drive. Only two days, though. It was a good time. Sat next to a guy who is in a local band called Water Kill the Sun, they've recently released an album. (See? It's easy to date yourself when you say things like "album", "new album" or "which record was that on?") He was a nice guy and actually had a connection to a friend of mine, now known as the "fake Verizon guy." (Sorry, Deron, but that is the way I described you when I asked if he knew you. He knows Paul Willis. His name is Gavin.) The internet seems to be the main means of pledging, now a days, at least during the mid day show, so the phones were not ringing off the hook. And we were still needed. Our presence appreciated and, like I said, it was fun. I've been wanting to volunteer to do this for as many years as I've been listening to the station. FINALLY, I figured out that you have to sign up to be a volunteer and then you get e-mails requesting your services for various tasks throughout the year. Ah ha! Hope I get to do it again, those slots fill up fast.

I am procrastinating working on my personal statement. I've received very helpful feedback from almost everyone I sent it to. And I am rewriting it, a little. Fresh start and incorporating much of the main body. I keep seeing all of these news stories that talk about how difficult it is to get into college, these days. Well, I realize that they are focusing on undergraduate admissions, and mostly big name schools. Still, even that doesn't put my mind at ease. This essay is really going to tell them a lot more about me than just whether or not I can turn assignments in on time.

No comments: