Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fire Jump Street With Me

In a constant effort to avoid doing the "things" I'm supposed to be doing (self-imposition), I have gone back to some of my favorite television shows from way back when. Back in the day, as some folks like to say. Let us start with that crazy David Lynch classic. It was by total accident that I even saw the pilot episode when it first aired. I was babysitting and the little rug rat had gone to bed. Sophomore year of high school and all my pals were watching that insipid teen soap opera. Poor things. I was hooked from the start. Called my then boyfriend and said you MUST watch this show. (We'd seen Blue Velvet, so we felt well-versed in Lynchism.) I don't know if he did, but I was sure thankful that I was babysitting and had control of a television. I'm sure I would have missed it if I'd been at home. The rest of the series was watched on a little black and white television (I don't even know where I got it) in my bedroom with crappy reception. It's been astonishing to actually see the show in color. On to season two, which I only saw a few episodes of due to my growing irritation with Lynch's wacky symbolism and the whole "Who killed Laura Palmer" mystery. I really could have cared less who did it by the time the show ended. Happy to report that I am anxious to borrow season two and watch the rest of the story unfold. And who couldn't love Kyle M. as Agent Cooper? I do believe it's my favorite role of his, to date. Though, I am as afraid to see the movie as I was when it came out...

The second trip meanders the path down the 7th grade memory lane and this rush home after school so as not to miss a single episode series. I was afraid this one would be VERY bad. Isn't it great to aim low, sometimes? And, with such expectations I can safely say that I don't find the show terrible. I always knew Depp would be a star...sigh... Wary that it would be a painful reminiscence, I only netflixed the first disc of season one. I'm ready for more. I think I stopped watching once I was in high school, so I guess I only made it through the first two seasons.

Side note. It is odd to use Netflix as a verb. Just like Google. Or Xerox. Proper nouns into verbs. Weird, yet part of the ever changing language lexicon.

No comments: