Thursday, July 12, 2007

For Gina

I received a phone message from my sister, Gina. She left it yesterday and I only listened to it today. (Sorry, Gina. I just wasn't checking my phone...). Well, Gina has discovered this here blog (the first family member to do so...how, I wonder?) and mentioned that I have given some misinformation in a previous post. Therefore, I shall make amends by correcting this earlier misrepresentation of my dear sister. Gina, this one's for you.

In the old post, I said that she didn't like a certain genre of music. Well, though she did not, in fact, like Tears for Fears, she did like some U2, Oingo Boingo--this I can attest to, I remember she had the 12'' of "Weird Science"--and even the Thompson Twins. (Specific bands listed on her phone message.) And now, come to think of it, she also had Men at Work's Cargo way back when we lived in Idlyhoo. But she will have to admit, to me and the world that she looooooves Bon Jovi more than any of the aforementioned bands. Right, Miss Gina Lynn?

So, I would like to present a list of songs and/or bands that remind me, specifically, of my oldest sis!

Bon Jovi. (duh! She hearts Bon Jovi.) Especially the entire Slippery When Wet album, which we had to listen to umpteen MILLION times while driving to and from the dance studio. Really loudly, too.

Gina works the diner all day/
Working for her man, she brings home her pay/
For love - for love

"Sister Christian", by Night Ranger.

"We're Not Gonna Take It", Twisted Sister.

Guns 'N Roses--I think she had a crush on Slash, which I couldn't understand. I mean, how could you tell what he looked like?

Poison--I don't even know what to say about this. I still find it difficult to believe.

Brian Adams--Her phone ring--not a ring at all-- is "Summer of '69"and I laughed with nostalgic glee the first time I called her and heard it play.

Van Halen--the David Lee Roth version. Was it Eddie that she crushed on? She seemed to have a thing for guitar players. Richie Sambora might have been one of those rockers she liked, too....Gina? Can you help me out here?

Come to think of it, I recall her liking David Lee Roth's solo efforts, as well.

Def Leppard, Ratt (I might be making this one up.), Quiet Riot...that's all off of the top of my head. But you can see why I might have jumped to the conclusion that my little underground (at the time) music listening wouldn't have been much to her liking. I hope I have set the record (ha ha ha...record. get it? like those old round, flat discs with grooves on them people used to play?) straight regarding Gina and her eclectic music likes. And really, I have her to thank for introducing me to the music that made such an informative impression on my life, and continues to do so. Thanks, Gina!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linnet--you forgot one of the all time somrthing bands--Styx. I seem to remember being forced to join a fan club and repeated listening of Mr. Roboto . . . Your other older sis.