Saturday, July 26, 2008

(the best of) New Order (US Version)

(the best of) New Order-New Order
Released: March, 1995 (US Version)
Qwest

I've been searching on the internet for information related to this album, and it's been fascinating.  Originally released in 1994, in the UK, the track listing is a bit different; but on iTunes, it's different than either the UK or the US releases.  Less tracks and some that aren't on either of the other CDs.  Weird.  Anyway, I have learned a heck of a lot more about New Order than I knew before--which was minimum, though I've liked them for eons, now--and have had moments of "ooooo....well that explains that".  The US version of this compilation features singles and tracks from albums released 1981 through 1993, including new versions/remixes of some.  It's, aside from one or two tracks, a great listen and showcases the evolution of New Order from Joy Division.  My favorite New Order song, "Ceremony", is not included on this album--it was written during the days of Joy Division (Ian Curtis penned the lyrics)--nor are a few of my other favs, but they are on Substance and so it's not as though I don't ever get to listen to them.  Favorites that are on this album are "Age of Consent", "Dreams Never End", "Regret" and "Bizarre Love Triangle".  

"Regret" sounds like older N. O. and isn't.  Originally released in 1993, on the album Republic, it carries this full band sound, so Modern Rock, which by this time was called "alternative", I guess.  I love the guitar, it's rather anthem-like and contrasts with the keyboard electronica so well.  It rides along with the melody during the chorus, boosting the gorgeousness of the song.  Though I like the electronica of "Blue Monday" and the songs that go along with that (Many which are not on this comp.), I do prefer the tunes that include the live instruments and have a, to my ears, distinctly modern music sound.  The songs that we danced to at The Blitz back in high school... "Age of Consent" and the like.  We think we are so unconventional, so wise in our music likes, so different and, I'll say it, superior to all those top 40 and hair band kids.  We know the real depth and talent of musicians and bands.  We have the sophisticated taste.  Good grief, pretentious much?  Well, is it any different now?  Really?  Sure, I have a better appreciation of genres I may have scoffed at in jr. high and high school.  I'm more ready to admit to liking sugary pop songs that aren't necessarily good, but they make me smile.  (Though I have never, and I never will back down from loving Barry Manilow, so don't even try to mock me on that.  It won't work.)  But I still like music that isn't on the top 40 charts (unless it's a fluke) or the commercial "alternative" stations.  I listen to the indie pop, primarily, and believe myself to like better music than the conventional stuff most people hear.  Things haven't changed that much.  Though, I like to think of myself as not getting on the "oh, well, now they've sold out so I don't like them anymore" complainer wagon.  Rather, I am happy they get to make a living as artists and hope they continue to put out great records.  If not, well then I can listen to the older stuff and remember when...

ANYWAY that's all blah blah blah which I'm sure I've already blahed about on this blog.  Boring.

I'm not a big fan of "1963", it's cheesy.  Narrative lyrics, verse, chorus, verse structure, which isn't a bad thing.  I like songs written in that way, however, I find it very Movie of the Week/After School Special.  The tune's fine, but nothing that grabs me and makes my musical heartstrings sing and get all fluttery.  Maybe if they'd chosen a name other than Johnny?  I dont' know, it's just cheese to me.  Apparently, the band had wanted to release it as the single with "True Faith" the B-side, but the smarty pants execs suggested swapping the two.  Well, "True Faith" was a HUGE hit so I guess it was a good move.  Remember the video?  Wow.  That was a cool one.  I think that was the year we got cable so I actually got to watch Mtv and they showed that in regular rotation, not just on 120 Minutes.  I can also do without the UK World Cup football (soccer) team's theme song, "World in Motion".  Call it the "Super Bowl Shuffle" of it's sport.  Eh.  I could do without that one, too.  (My oldest sister, Gina, she bought that single.  I think she was in love with Jim McMahon.)

They wanted to get away from the Joy Division, post-punk sound and they succeeded.  It's great to hear that growth, and I'm glad that it wasn't gone, entirely, since some of my New Order favorites carry that with them.  But "Fine Time"--come on!  Bleeting sheep at the end?  Very cool--and "Blue Monday" are wonderful examples of the handle they had on dance music, and those tunes are six years apart.  I think they are innovative and are also probably why I associate techno with the Brits.  (Well, I'm sure I was told that's where the dance beat came from, but N. O. is one of a few bands that I can name who I like and listened to on a regular basis.)  Good job, guys!

No comments: