Friday, July 25, 2008

The Best of The Songbooks (Discs 2 & 3)

The Best of the Songbooks (Discs 2 & 3)-Ella Fitzgerald
Released: Polygram
September 24, 1996

Remiss I have been in my entries... and I have nothing to say except I was busy reading.  Now, as the summer marks it's half way point (for me, anyway) I find that I actually have to WORK for two weeks before heading down to Southern Cal to visit Shawn.  I mean, what kind of nonsense is this (she says with a wink and a smile)?!  Phew!  Temp work rocks!

So, let's get to it.  We'll finish up with Ella--though she'll be back, I can assure you--and move forward to some New Order.  Later.  Tomorrow.  Probably.

Discs 2 & 3 of the box set have titles: "Love Songs" and "Ballads", not in that order.  What I find amusing about the grouping of love songs, is that they are all love songs.  Were any popular tunes written in the hey day of dinner and dancing not?  Most likely, but it seems that the majority that play on the perpetual juke box of nostalgia are, indeed, about some kind of love.  Happy love.  Sad love.  Mad love.  Silly love.  Old love, new love, every love but true love...  I love it.  We should have more dinner and dancing in this world.  The real kind.  The kind where it's not for a lark and wouldn't it be fun if we got all dressed up like in the old days and pay for a steak dinner, some low lights and some dancing?  But for real.  A regular night on the town.  Wonder what happened?  I'm sure there are books about it, describing the rise and fall of the dining dancers.  We're too busy.  We're too lazy.  We're too strapped for cash.  High heels were shunned.  (though they came back, left came back and now are back and with a vengeance...)  Was it disco?  

Well, if we all listened to Ella (Or Chet, or Dinah, or Etta, or Billie, or Sarah) we'd all be inspired to head out and trip the light fantastic with our lover, cheek to cheek and humming love songs into each others ear/shoulder/hair--where ever you happen to reach when dancing with said lover/date/stranger/friend.  I'd definitely have to be wearing heels to reach Shawn's cheek.  

No comments: