Tuesday, July 05, 2005

ruminations on what i'll be if i grow up

Today the "enter" function appears to be working. Looks like I can actually make a

space between lines. Technology, it astounds me daily.

I saw a dear to my heart friend, this weekend. He was in town for a wedding and we were able to catch a moment of time together. We talked about grad school. Or rather, my inability to decide what I would do in grad school, if I go. Lateral moves. Theatre major to Theatre graduate student. Theatre major to Poetry writing grad student. Okay, not that one. I don't write poetry. (And even if I did, it would be for MY eyes only and those of the instructor who happened to teach my poetry writing class that I only took to gain more insight into the reading of poetry. So, no. I wouldn't get an MFA in poetry writing.)

Theatre History and Criticism is appealing to me, as is Dramaturgy. Well, dramaturgy, though academic and smart sounding, is sort of in the lateral move category, since everything I read about that field hints at the difficultly of being able to earn a living wage. Great. Just what I need. Besides, both of those pursuits sound really hard. I love to learn. I love to be challenged in my learning. However, I don't actually consider myself an intellectual or a particularly stunning student. I do/did alright; and I don't know if I'd make it in that world. It has been many eons since I've written any kind of analysis paper or done research or had to coordinate footnotes. Coordinating footnotes is probably NOT even actual verbiage of the intellectual, research paper writing set. 'Nuf said.

None of this is going to matter a teeny tiny bit if I don't take the GRE.

Or, if I can find a school that I want to go to who in turn wants me to go there that doesn't require the GRE, then it might matter.

Some don't. Lots do. sigh.

No comments: