Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Sarah Combs, where are you?

I didn't know that amazon had a "wish list" and that I could actually search for names of people that I think I might know. Actually, I had heard of such a thing, I just hadn't explored its possibilites until today. Wow. I looked up names from the far reaches of my past relationships. I was particularly curious about a certain someone that I often wonder about. One Sarah Combs--a girl that I went to high school with, whom I considered a good friend, and haven't talked to since she got mad at me and two other friends for going to lunch without her. That was it. The end. She sulked the rest of our senior year and no matter what we tried to do to get her to talk to us she wouldn't budge; we were dead to her. I don't think we even spoke at graduation. The sudden end of, what I had considered, a close friendship has haunted me. Probably because I knew, even back then, that there was a way to repair the damage, if only I would make the effort. Which I didn't. Because I was a brat and tired of her tantrums.

Well, the name, Sarah Combs, is as old as the Mayflower. I have googled her. I have thought about her. I have dreamt about her. And today, I entered her name into the wish list search engine. About 15 Sarah Combs's Wish Lists came up. Was she the Sarah Combs with the mad desire for a Sony Playstation Dance Pad? Or, perhaps, she had just had a baby and wanted that list of children's picture books? I try to imagine the teenage Sarah, wanting to fit in and sitting on the periphery of the giggling and--was this by choice or did we push her out there?--as the grownup Sarah, catching up on her Barbara Kingsolver reading, or wanting to know about teenage angst. Does she have children? I know she went to the University of Arizona. Did she graduate? What in? It is a strange sensation to want to know, for more than 10 years now, where this woman is and to feel helpless in locating her. Sensation? No, it is bordering on obsession, I realize. WHERE IS SARAH COMBS? Why do we have the power of Google if it can't answer all of our "Where are they now?" requests?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*ahem* It's actually getting on toward 15 years...

~adam

Linnet said...

o dear lord...sigh

Anonymous said...

ack... no more talk about how long it's been. Someone just find the woman. "Where is Sarah?" bumper stickers and coffee mugs?...