Monday, June 09, 2008

Avalon

Avalon-Roxy Music
Relased: 1982 (rereleased 2000)
Virgin Records, US

Avalon... the island where King Arthur mythically frolics, awaiting the day that he will return to rule over England.  Excalibur was forged there... and it's also the name of a dreamy, new wave, jazzy album by Roxy Music.  This is a band that I feel like I should, for the sake of my musical education, know more about than I do.  The most important thing I know about Roxy Music is that Brian Eno was in the band, at first.  And Eno is--well, he's a legend.  Producer extraordinaire.  Other than that and a couple of songs, they are one of those bands that I pretend to have a goodly knowledge of.  Don't roll your eyes at me.  You've done it too, when someone talks about a book or a movie that you feel as though you should have read/seen, but haven't.  So, rather than admit to not having done this, you just nod your head and say, "Oh, yeah.  That's a great one.  Uh-huh."  All the while thinking to yourself that you really should make the time to watch/read that one.  Well, I just have enough huzzpah to admit to you, my loyal readership, that I haven't listened to as much Roxy Music as I should have, and that the only album I own is not even one of the early ones.  It's the palatable, accessible and good Avalon.  (Were there any after this one?  Not counting the "we've gotten back together to make a new album" release from a few years ago.)  

Bryan Ferry is the New Wave crooner.  He's the singer who makes the girls and boys swoon as he dips and spins you through songs on his smooth vocals, crooning sweet nothings in your ear.  What a guy.  I do not say this in any kind of disparaging way, quite the contrary, but this album is SO 80's!  Well, duh.  I'll bet when it came out, though, that it was pretty innovative stuff.  Synthesizers of this era have such a distinct sound.  I have a special place in my heart for that sound--Depeche Mode, Yaz, Erasure, Thompson Twins, Howard Jones... sigh... I just can't get enough, har har har.  

The melodies on Avalon, sometimes makes me think of 80's movie montages.  The saxophone, the instrumental break in a song.  I'll put this one in a noir-ish film, though.  Remember how there was that 1940's revival in the early 80's?  Well, that's where this belongs, stylistically.  It's raining.  Our hero, a private dick with a taste for whiskey and the ladies, is looking for one of the latter that's gone missing.  Los Angeles?  I know they say it never rains in LA, but I've seen it happen.  And this album is particularly appropriate for a grey, drizzly day, but not a cold winter rain.  Summer gloomy rain, or early fall.  A lot like Seattle, lately.  
"Is it raining in New York/on 5th Avenue/
and off Broadway, after dark/
You love the lights, don't you?/I could walk you through the park/
if you're feeling blue/or whatever." 
("To Turn You On": at least I think that's what he sang...)

"or whatever"--isn't that great?!  He's just so cool about it.  Oh, he likes her.  But he's not going to beg; wants her to know that he's available for her.  There's just a hint of his deep desire, but it's not overdone.  Later, he gets a little more intense, but it's not a down on your knees, pleading kind of tone.  And the music backing him up isn't overly dramatic.  It's cool, man.  I like you.  I'll do whatever to get you into me.  Whatever.

The song I'm most familiar with, "More Than This", is really terrific.  Ferry's vocals are melodic, caressing you as he carries you with him.  Breezy and lyrical.  The whole album is really composed, very clean and deliberate.  Sophisticated.  I kind of want to have a cocktail party--in shifts, I do live in a studio, after all--and play this album, along with other soft new wave hits.  Maybe some Spandau Ballet?  Haircut 100?  Yeah.  We'll drink Pimms cups and sit around talking about the music.  A listening party.  Hmmmm... that kind of sounds fun... maybe I'll actually go through with it... don't hold your breath, but I'll let you know.

No comments: