Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bachelor No. 2 (Or, the Last Remains of the Dodo)

Bachelor No. 2 (Or, the Last Remains of the Dodo)-Aimee Mann
Released: January 25, 2000
SuperEgo Records

This album was on my personal rotation when I worked at the little antique jewelry/vintage clothing shop.  Seemed perfectly acceptable.  Mann's voice is never harsh and the melodies couldn't be construed as offensive or too loud for a retail shop.  A couple of days ago, when I was listening to this in the background to prep for my official listen-through, I realized for the first time that track one, "How Am I Different" contains the line "When you fuck it up later do I get my money back?"  A line that repeats throughout the song.  I never noticed at the store because she sounds so pleasant while she's singing it.  Even when I listened at home, I think I thought she was saying something like "muck it up"--the "f" bomb somehow slipped by.  No one else seemed to notice, either, as there were never any shocked faces or complaints.  Except from my boss, who simply didn't care for Mann.  To each her own, n'est pas?

I enjoy listening to this album.  I like singing along to it, and it's great tidying the apartment music.  I've decided that her voice sounds kind of like an oboe.  It's unique and has a very easy quality, which I like.  She may sing about soured relationships, lost chances and mucking along through love, but she's not angry and she doesn't whine.  Intelligent lyrics that don't shy away from examining herself (the singer as character) and making pithy observations.  "It Takes All Kinds" includes, to this listener's ears, a little tongue and cheek nod to doo-wop with it's erroneously idealized image of the 1950's.  Hardly congruent with the subject of this song.  It makes me laugh a little.  Clever little monkey...

Bachelor shares song writing credits with Elvis Costello, on "The Fall of the World's Own Optimist"; and Mann's partner, Michael Penn, offers his talents as guitar player and back up vocalist.  I can hear Penn's influence, especially on "Susan".  The opening guitar is very Penn; and I only know a few of his songs.  Of course, it's entirely possible that I have no idea what I'm talking about--but we've established that already.  Hmmmm... I suddenly have this vague recollection of seeing Michael Penn in concert... did I really?  I think I'll have to ask my pal, Matt, because I sort of think he might have been there with me... or else I'm making this whole thing up.  Also entirely possible.

On another note... I recently discovered--yes, a late bloomer almost always--a podcast of a radio program out of Chicago, that talks about music, called Sound Opinions.  Two Chicago rock critics are the hosts, and they are pretty durn interesting to listen to.  I listened to one, yesterday, that had been broadcast in April.  They were discussing sound quality and the lack of it on cds, and especially mp3s.  They lack depth, a three dimensionality, apparently.  Vinyl is the way to go and that's just not an option for everyone.  Vinyl is more expensive (just about twice, if not more, than what you'd pay for a download or cd) and not all artists have the time or money to invest in getting that kind of quality out of a recording session.  Slightly disheartening, but super interesting nonetheless.  I recommend checking out the podcast, if you have the time.  They do air the show on my local NPR station, but I'm not consistent with television or radio series; I get distracted and find I have something else I'd rather do.  Besides, what with podcasts and tv networks providing online viewing... well, I don't feel like I'm missing out.  'Cause I'm not. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello from your fat friend Matt. Yes, we did go to a Michael Penn concert together. A loooooong time ago. I vaguely remember the concert (general admission was close to the stage and the only part of the venue that we underage fans were allowed, I think Victoria Williams opened, is that possible?), but I clearly remember the concert t-shirt. That's the way life goes, more often than not.