Friday, June 20, 2008

Being There (Disc 1)

Being There (Disc 1)-Wilco
Released: Oct. 20, 1996
Reprise Records

Today is the longest day of the year.  It got dark in Seattle around 10pm, as my friend, Marcus, and I were ending a walk we took, tonight, as we both had nothing in particular to do and live so close to each other.  O.  And it was SUPER nice out.  A really lovely, long walk that took us through posh Capitol Hill nooks and crannies.  It really was a great way to welcome the onset of summer.  Marcus offered three questions for me to put on my blog, prior to talking about this album and here they are:

1. People still litter?  Who does that?!  (Because we saw litter on our walk and were really incredulous that there are people in this world who still think this is ok.)

2. Who uses styrofoam anymore?!  (Because he was telling me about being at some place where they actually served him a drink in styrofoam.)

3. What guy thinks a lone female in a desolate area is actually going to go over to his car and "give him directions"?!  (Because I related a story where this happened to me and my response was an indignant "no" as I continued the run I was on, but at a much faster pace until I was safely ensconced by apartment buildings and houses, again.)

Summer.  Wilco.  Being There.  A double album and sold at the price of a one disc album.  According to Wikipedia, this was an agreement made between Jeff Tweedy--lead singer and song writer--and Reprise records.  Today I listened to only the first disc, and it seemed really appropriate for the weather and the time of year.  It sounds like a good summer album, perfect for sitting out on your deck--if you are so fortunate as to have one--drinking a nice cold beer, or other cold beverage of your choice.  I layed on my couch/futon and imagined that I had a deck.  I did not drink a beer, though, I suppose I could have.  

I don't know where to put Wilco.  They're rock 'n roll.  They're alt country-ish.  Songs on this album, in particular, bring to mind The Rolling Stones, John Cougar Mellencamp (or John Mellencamp, or John Cougar, whatever he's going by these days...) and even a hint of The Replacements.    Also some good ole' honky tonk twangin'.  They are their own genre, in many ways.  I'd used the term "roots rock" in my journal, today, wondering if that is where they'd be classified and the original review on Pitchfork used the same term.  What, exactly, does that mean?  American roots rock?  Anyway, I think this band is well worth a listen and this album has many singable tunes.  I'll tell you now that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is, by far, my favorite Wilco release... but those "Y"s ain't coming for a loooooooooong time.  

"Misunderstood", the first track, starts out with this strident sound of instruments--the band members all playing something other than their own--before easing into a much more melodic tune of a misunderstood fellow and then falling apart, in a way, with another noise assault and Tweedy's strained vocals "I know you've got a God-shaped hole, leanin' out your..." something or other, I'm not sure what he says.  Anyway, the screaming of "Nothin', Nothin, Nothin" and that whole breakdown bit is my favorite part of the song.  

I like Tweedy's love songs, such as they are, too.  There is tenderness, there is longing and there is a romantic sentimentality to them; I wouldn't accuse him of being a mushy sentimentalist, thankfully.  "Far, Far Away" and "Say You Miss Me" express similar ideas, longing to see the object of his affection, but in different circumstances.  Both capture that feeling of love.  One is waiting for you, though you might be on the road, or something.  And the other aches with heartbreak and loss.  Tweedy's raspy, too many cigarettes vocals carry that loss in them.  They have that been there, seen that and that and that, post all nighter scratch.  He's not necessarily jaded, but he certainly has been around the block many, many times.  

If you haven't had the chance and if you're a Wilco fan, I recommend the documentary about their departure from Reprise, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart--one of my favorite song titles, ever, by the way.  It's a fascinating look at a band as it learns that they're being dropped by their record label AND making an album at the same time.  It's intimate and surprising.  A glimpse into the music world and all its trials and tribulations.

Next up... Being There (Disc 2)!!!


No comments: