Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Paigerella is Cool

My littlest sister, Paige, sent me an e-mail a few weeks ago asking me if I'd ever heard of a site called pandora.com? No. It's a radio station, of sorts. You enter a song or an artist and the internet elves line up your own personal play list based on that one band or song. For half an hour. THEN they tell you that to continue listening, you must create an account. Create an account. Those internet elves sure are clever. They hook you and then they gotcha. It's not really a big deal. All it wanted was the basics and not any of that pleaselistyourinterestsandhobbies crap. But then. I am listening to a song that I like. I don't know who it is and I it is behind the web page that I am reading, so I click on it but accidentally close it. I don't get to find out who or what it was. boo hoo hoo me.

All of that is to say that Paige is cool. I mean, REALLY cool. Paige spent most of her school life in Southern Idaho. Went to Jr. and High School in a rural area called Filer. Close to the big city of Twin Falls. Population 25,000-ish. Perhaps more, by now. But not by much. Lots of corporate chain fast food joints. Big excitement when the Olive Garden opened. Love it, though. Twin, not the Olive Garden. It's just a small town, really. And I love to visit my mom and Paige and have a truly relaxing time with them. Anyhoo. This is all leading to Paige's musical tastes. Being in a small community with not much in the way of choice when it came to music, she had what I would describe as fairly bad taste in music. According to me and my o-so-vast knowledge in the music world. heh heh heh. Really, though. She went through a phase where she listened to what is called country music but sounds like so-so rock and roll with a twang and more lyrics about crying into a bottle a' Bud. Not the Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Whalen' Jennings kind. I thought she was lost, for sure.

From no where, a couple of years ago, I get an e-mail from my baby sis asking me if I like a band called Bright Eyes? And how about The Decemberists? Have I ever heard of Death Cab for Cutie?

Truth. Tim McGraw to Death Cab. Just like that. Suddenly, she's making mix cd's for me with all of these great bands. Many that I've never heard of. SHE'S the one introducing ME to music. She's laughing at the mainstream radio stations playing Modest Mouse. Paige is cool.

No comments: