Wednesday, September 27, 2006

TSFY Class of '87 & '88!

Surfing around on the web, the other night, I discovered that the University of Utah's Theatre School for Youth is a program that still exists. And is still run by Dr. Xan Johnson! Looks like it is a bigger program, now, and runs throughout the year as opposed to just summers. I was tickled to see that. My life was truly transformed over the two summers that I spent as a student in that program. I met great people, learned about some fantastic music, had my young heart broken at least twice, felt as though I was in a world that my non arts friends just wouldn't understand and realized that I could be an actor and not relegated to dancing in Cats on Broadway. Though, at the time, Cats seemed like a great gig and it was still new enough to thrill us all at the mere mention of "Memories". I don't even think that the SNL skit had happened, yet. I've actually never seen the musical, though I do have the music. I had the album, and bought the cd a few years ago. A soft place for musicals is ever present in my heart, which I'm pretty sure I've copped to already.


Do you think they would hire an acting teacher who doesn't seem to get much work? Or do they just want working actors who need a summer gig? I remember one of my acting teachers, his name was Jeff, and he was 24. I thought he was so old and mature and cute. (Yes, my 12 year old school girl self had a little crush on him. A harmless crush.) I remember once asking him about what it was like to get to buy a beer, since he was clearly over 21. His reply stuck with me, as it seemed so odd. He said that by the time he'd turned 21, he'd already done so much drinking and partying that the thrill was gone. It wasn't a big deal and now he didn't drink all that much. Random memories, 101. I don't recall whether or not he was a grad student at the U. or a professional actor, or what he did outside of the school. I wonder if he is working now, or if he wound up going to grad school for some other type of career? Hmmmm...What fun it might be to go back there for a month and teach. Which is kind of funny for me to consider, since I have not had a desire to teach acting. I fear I wouldn't have the patience and I'd resent students who didn't seem talented for taking up the time of those who do. What I used to observe with annoyance in some of my college professors was their ability to devote as much attention and good faith in students who were only there because they needed an arts credit so they could graduate. Now I see it more clearly. That's why those people made good teachers. I believe you have to possess such qualities in order to be an effective teacher. Like the lesson I've learned reading New Yorker film reviews. Sometimes a movie is reviewed that I might consider a complete waste of time. And yet the reviewer can take it for what it is--fluff, pure entertainment, low brow humour, action only--and find what works in that film. Admirable qualities.

No comments: