Tuesday, January 29, 2008

An Open Love Letter To Ryan Adams and The Cardinals

Dear Boys,

Wow and wow and wow. I saw your show at Seattle's Paramount theatre, last Saturday and I was not prepared for what ensued. I think I expected a similar show to the one in July, with all of you sitting in a semi-circle on the stage, handsomely outfitted in dark suits and cowboy boots. A melodic, poingent show that only served to emphasize the underlying--and darn right obvious-- sadness in so many of your songs. A quality that I love, and keeps me coming back for more. Well, the sorrow was there on January 26, but it ROCKED. And you were charming and funny and silly and, Ryan, your modesty in always referring to "we Cardinals" was not lost on me. I'm excited for your new album, too. When do we get to hear it? Neal's song was such a teaser...I want more! Thank you, boys, for never failing to reach the entire audience and playing for nearly THREE HOURS!!!! No one does that anymore. At least, not anyone I've seen in recent years. It went by so quickly...
Ryan, thank you for giving an ass-kicking performance, despite feeling under the weather. Even though I was in the first balcony, I'm thrilled that the show is immortalized in your movie. So you may not have been able to see us all up there, I know that you know that we committed to our zombies. Thank you, too, for having the inexplicable talent and heart to share such sorrow. It is a rare gift to be able to write a song that so viscerally penetrates--you write so many. I can listen to your songs over and over for hours and hours, . My heart lies bleeding on the floor and I can't get enough. I don't want to pick it up--I don't mean that in a wallowing, self-pity kind of way. Oh, and thank you for singing "Come Pick Me Up"!

Yours Truly,

Linnet

1 comment:

Paige said...

Ha ha! I like it. I'm so entirely envious of all the wonderful and amazing live performances you've seen!!! I could certainly write a few letters myself to a select few singers - but not on the live show I was lucky enough to see...sigh and woe is me! :) Next time I go to Seattle (maybe this year, I hope!!), we'll have to see someone - anyone - play!