Sunday, March 08, 2009

Huge, fat, white flakes are drifting--make that dumping, now.. no, wait, driftinnnnnnnng...--anyway, it's snowing.  Pretty.  But I'm over it now that we're into March.  

Two things:  

1. Adam, you're future jokes are great!  How did you do that?  Teach me.  Please.

2. I saw the most amazing production of Schoenberg's Ewartung on a double bill with Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle at the Seattle Opera, last night.  The soprano who sang The Woman was not only a beautiful, gorgeous, pitch perfect, expressive singer, but she could act, too!  Really.   A-maze-ing production.  Amazing.  This was originally directed by Robert LePage, in 1993, and I can't believe how lucky I was to get to see it.  Expressionistic, Freudian, Magritte-like images.  Dancers crawling out of walls, sideways.  Like watching a stark, frightening and beautiful dream.  Bluebeard's was also wonderful, (minor point: despite the thunderous, yummy voice, Bluebeard was a bit stiff, physically.  Luckily there was so much to take in visually and musically that I could easily let that go.)  The best, most magical staging took place near the end as his three wives rise from a pool of water, as if they were on some kind of hydraulics that lifted them straight up, dripping and red with the trains of their dresses trailing behind them like viscous pools of blood.  (Only the trick is that it's wasn't deep, and they had to swim horizontally until they reached the spot where they could rise.  Which they did with such seamless grace and foreboding.) I wish everyone could have seen it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought I was teaching by example.

~Adam