Tuesday, March 03, 2009

I bought a record player at the end of January.  I'd been wanting one for quite some time and took advantage of the money coming in from my temporarily permanent temp job to purchase this fine, vintage, all-in-one Rheem Califone music listening device.  I'd forgotten what it was like to listen to a record.  It takes a bit more patience--you have to flip it over, after all--a bit more attention.  My speaker is pretty durn good, but it's not the best, and still... IT'S TRUE WHAT ALL THOSE CRAZY AUDIOPHILES SAY ABOUT VINYL!!!!  I love it.  (The Walkmen's You & Me album was my first vinyl purchase.  I bought it at the show.  Very good show, by the way.  One of their best that I've had the pleasure of seeing.)  Mostly I've been buying used records and have only had a couple of "Darn.  That song is scratched," moments.  I figure if I'm paying a few bucks--like $1-3--for an album and there's one scratch, it's o.k.  One of my favorite finds was nos. 2 and 3 of Bach's unaccompanied cello suites.  Released in the late 60's.  (or early 70's?  I'm too lazy to get up and look.)  If you thought that those cello pieces warmly resonated in your bones on a cd, give yourself a treat and listen via the old analog method.  Whoa.  I get it.  I do.  It sounds like someone is playing the cello inside my apartment, inside of me.  Another great find?  (thank you , Shawn, for this treasured discovery) One Voice.  Barry Manilow.  The very first album I ever got that was mine and mine alone.  (Christmas, 1979.)  Ask my mom how much I loved that record.  When I told her of this gem, she inquired if I'd gotten out the vacuum cleaner.  har, har.  She is referring to my childhood microphone.  My vinyl purchases tend towards classical, albums I remember that my parents had, bands that I really, really love--I'm on a mission to find all of the U2 catalog from Joshua Tree on down--and quirky 78s.  I'm in no hurry.  So, if you are out and about and you see something that you think I might like, and it isn't very expensive or scratched, feel free to purchase it for me.  You can come over and we can lay on some pillows while we listen to the textured sounds of the vinyl experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not really on topic but... if you're posting something online, why would you ever have to get up to look up a fact?

~adam

Anonymous said...

Wow, that thing is AWESOME! Good post. I just got Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion LP in the mail yesterday. It was very exciting!

Linnet said...

adam, adam, adam... you are too smart for your own good. i couldn't remember the name of the cellist or who released it so i would have HAD to get up to look. if i'd just looked up "bach unaccompanied cello suites + performer", or something like, i would have been scrolling through many, many results. silly. sheesh! ;-)